1. If f(x) = (x + 2) / (x-2) for all integers except x=2, which of the following has the greatest value?
2. ABCD is a square of side 3, and E and F are the mid points of sides AB and BC respectively. What is the area of the quadrilateral EBFD ?
3. If n ≠ 0, which of the following must be greater than n?
III 2 - n
A. I only
B. II only
C. I and II only
D. II and III only
4. After being dropped a certain ball always bounces back to 2/5 of the height of its previous bounce. After the first bounce it reaches a height of 125 inches. How high (in inches) will it reach after its fourth bounce?
5. n and p are integers greater than 1
5n is the square of a number
75np is the cube of a number.
The smallest value for n + p is
1.Correct Answer: D
You can solve this by back solving – substitute the answer choices in the expression and see which gives the greatest value.sat
A (-1 + 2) / (-1-2) = -2 / 2 = -1;
B (0 + 2) / (0-2) = 2/ -2 = -1;
C (1 + 2) / (1-2) = 3/-1 = -3;
D (3 + 2) / (3-2) = 5/1 = 5;
E (4+ 2) / (4-2) = 6/2 = 3
If you had just chosen the largest value for x you would have been wrong. So although it looks a long method, it is actually quick and accurate since the numbers are really simple and you can do the math in your head.
2.Correct Answer: D
(Total area of square - sum of the areas of triangles ADE and DCF) will give the area of the quadrilateral 9 - (2 x ? x 3 x 1.5) = 4.5
3.Correct Answer: E
Remember that n could be positive negative or a fraction. Try out a few cases: In case I, if n is -1, then 2n is less than n. In case II, if n is a fraction such as ? then n2 will be less than n. In case III, if n is 2, then 2-n = 0, which is less than n. Therefore, none of the choices must be greater than n
4.Correct Answer: C
If after each bounce it reaches 2/5 of the previous height, then after the second bounce it will reach 2/5 x 125. After the third it will reach 2/5 x 2/5 x 125. After the fourth it will reach 2/5 x 2/5 x 2/5 x 125. This cancels down to 2 x 2 x 2 = 8
5.Correct Answer: A
The smallest value for n such that 5n is a square is 5. 75np can now be written as 75 x 5 x p. This gives prime factors.... 3 x 5 x 5 x 5 x p To make the expression a perfect cube, p will have to have factors 3 x 3 , and hence p =9 n + p = 5 + 9 = 14